I will tell you. Being a legend waits for no man.
I got french clothes today! I look very very chic. Honestly, I look like a model and none of you could possibly handle the freshness. It's unbearable. Joe Strummer came back from the dead to tell me I looked great, and to invite me to join the Clash. I had to decline; I can't be seen with people below my coolness level.
I'm just kidding. That didn't happen. Of course I said yes! Stay tuned for the Clash reunion tour, where I'll be playing the digital watch featured in the second or third verse of "Rock the Casbah."
"Rock the Casbah", by the way, is the best rock song ever written. There is no way I am wrong about this. It was written in 20 minutes and recorded in another 20, and that is the beauty of punk songs: they're so pass/fail. Punk songs are like soufflé recipes; deceptively simple. You nail it or it sucks. And "Rock the Casbah" is delicious. It's centered around the classic "mama don't allow" rock song story arc, except "mama" is an ultraconservative Sharif, who bends his entire forces against a band playing raga (Indian jam music) in the Casbah. The censorship effort fails, because everyone likes the music and joins in listening; even the jet fighters, sent to "drop their bombs between the minarets/down the Casbah way", tune in on the radio and sing along. The Sharif has no choice but to relent. HAA!!!
Plenty of sonic ingenuity in this one, too. Drummer Topper Headon recorded all the instrumentals one morning, leaving nothing for the other three (who usually wrote all the songs) but to sing their bits. Lead guitarist Mick Jones added recorded samples of his digital watch alarm for an added layer, or because he felt like he had to do something. The whole song deserves high volume. The ending ad libs by Joe Strummer are awesome. LISTEN TO "ROCK THE CASBAH" GO DO IT DO IT DO IT
Also wish happy birthday to Jade, who is 16 today*!!
*In French years, idk how it translates to normal time.
xxx
Sammy
Your lookalike is right. You really are a very funny guy. Please buy him some legendary Parisian threads as well. You can walk down Church Street together shattering display windows with your coolness squared.
ReplyDeleteMOMMY DID YOU JUST SAY I LOOK LIKE JOE STRUMMER ,
Delete:')
I don't know who the "Mommy" person is you're referring to, and no, I didn't. I was talking about your Da.
ReplyDelete