07 May 2019

"Matilda" was great

London moves too fast for blogging. It's great fun. I got off the Underground this morning (I love all metros, even you, New York, ye of crowd and armpit) and got an apple and a mango smoothie from a Pret a Manger because I was pret a manger. His name was Davide, and because of this and my sincere hope that he had a good day, I got the smoothie for free. I went back to the National Gallery today and then made friends with a stranger in the park. I gave a man apparently stranded from Gilford my Oyster card because he asked for it and I could afford to give it. I also gave him some raisins from my bag because he said he was diabetic. In the evening I went and saw the musical version of Matilda (music by Tim Minchin!!!!!!), and I remembered what an absolute genius Roald Dahl was, and how important it is for dark children's books to exist.

Soon--very soon--I'm going to go to bed.

2 comments:

  1. That sounds like an awesome day! I had to re-read the 3rd sentence several times because I was wondering what a 'pret manager' was. The brain is a funny little trickster, haha! I have three finals tomorrow...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is the connection between crowded subway car armpits and finals? I will tell you! Today I was walking through the UVM library study area, along the corridor that runs between the two main clusters of tables crowded with students studying, procrastinating, or just freaking out. Though I do not have a keen sense of smell, even I sensed the heavy scent--or not so much a scent even as a sort of palpable pheromonal fog--of stress hormones.

    ReplyDelete

I Am Utterly Tired

I am not about to let myself stop writing just because I'm in America, a land where I come by indolence much easier. Things can be pushe...