09 May 2019

Also

I am having anxiety attacks about getting robbed when I get to Paris. Gare du Nord is known to be sketchy, with well-trained pickpockets and people who will mess with people who have luggage. I already know to plan ahead and walk straight through the station, eyes up, face serious and focused, stopping for no one, and get a taxi ASAP, so I'm not looking for advice on how to look (excuse the language) "don't fuck with me" enough. Just please leave a comment telling me how I'll be fine.

3 comments:

  1. I believe you will be fine because you can just show everybody your Tall White Male card (not meant to be snarky, it's there for you to use when needed!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really shouldn't have to worry about being roughed up, especially in the daytime, and especially in the middle of the 10ème, a lovely little area with the Town Hall and lots of arts and theaters along the Canal St.-Martin and a cute Turkish neighborhood. I walked around there for like two hours once looking for a place to rent a viola and had no problems.

    Just make a point of putting your wallet & passport in an inaccessible pocket (inner breast pocket is great if you have one), paying attention to it without patting it all the time to make sure it's there, and keeping a sharp eye on your surroundings.

    But relax & enjoy at the same time! Maybe you even want to stop at St. Vinnie's very cool church (paroissesvp.fr) just around the corner from Gare de Nord before catching a taxi.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, if the guy looking to rent a *viola* didn’t get taken, you’re going to be fine.

    ReplyDelete

I Am Utterly Tired

I am not about to let myself stop writing just because I'm in America, a land where I come by indolence much easier. Things can be pushe...