20 April 2019

Here's some more prosaic stuff

I tramp a never-ending journey, said the poet I’ve never read. When I hear his name, I always think of the colour grey. Maybe he was a grey poet, a poet who wrote grey poems; or maybe it’s just because of the picture of him that we all have seen on the back of a yellowing paperback at a book sale in October, a picture in white and grey and black of a white man with a grey beard and a black suit.

(For years, I’ve liked it better when people spell grey with an “e.” It’s a much greyer-lookingword than “gray”, which is too rich, too loud, too Americanto come near a proper evocation of the melancholic, three-quarter-view, diminished shrinking specter that is the presence of the color grey. Most colors add; grey subtracts, taking away the bloat and boast and leaving a subtlety that fills and spreads around objects and people, making the world a much more beautiful place than we imagine we make it, when we assault the buildings and t-shirts and pet dogs with paintbrushes and airbrushes and make all of it a perfect pink and yellow.)

I woke up this morning in a big darkness, punctuated on the far side by the unsubtle light of a phone screen. The hostel room was windowless and hot. It could’ve been any time, but it was 8 AM. I felt oppressively neutral, in such an advanced state of homeostasis that I was without the complicated liability of emotion. Actions lose their punch when I’m in these moods: it’s an effort to continue doing, well, anything, and when anything gets done, it seems to take ages. Civilizations rose and fell as I brushed my teeth. While I waited for the toilet, the English army won a battle. As I stepped into my shoes, they lost the war.

I lay in bed a while after I woke up, worrying about what I should do with the hours available to me before I began a complex dance with the British transit system at 14:43 at Lime Street Station. After a good while of unproductive thought and research, I decided that what I would do was “get breakfast”, and then I would do whatever I darn well pleased.

I saw a homeless man sitting by the sidewalk the second I walked out of the front door of the hostel and I put my headphones on so I could pretend I didn’t hear him asking me for money. I told myself I was too generous, that if I made that a pattern I would go over my budget every single day. It wasn’t even hard to walk by.

A minute later, a few streets gone by, I wondered how I could be so heartless. My soul was beginning to wake up, an hour and a half after my body had. When I passed a beggar, later in the day, I gave him a pound coin. When I passed an old woman on the accordion, I gave her my other pound coin. I don’t regret it.

“Whatever I darn well pleased” ended up waiting a while: I wanted to blog during breakfast, an impulse for which I am grateful, because if I hadn’t wanted to blog I wouldn’t have looked in my bag for my laptop, and if I hadn’t done that, I wouldn’t have realized I left said computer at the hostel. Another walk back, then, in the hot sun with a ridiculously heavy pack doing its level best to dislocate one shoulder or another.

The rest of my morning doesn’t really matter; it’s over now.

HEY GUESS WHAT EVERYBODY, I HATE TO INTERRUPT FROM THE LITERARY NONFICTION INSPIRED BY THE PROSE OF ALI SMITH AND BEN OKRI BUT I JUST LEARNED THAT IF I GET OFF MY TRAIN A STOP EARLY I DON’T HAVE TO BUY A NEW TRAIN TICKET!!!! I CAN JUST WALK TO MY HOSTEL!! GLORY BE!!!!

Well, that’s cheered me up no end. Still proud of what I wrote about emotional numbness, though, and I hope it’s struck a chord. The best (and in my case only) reason to show the world what you have created is this: to show people that they are not alone.

I’m gonna watch some TV.

1 comment:

  1. For a travel blog, there’s not a ton of information here as to where the heck you are. “Lime Street Station” appears to be in a port city called (I kid you not) Liverpool. If you’re heading south from there, you might call on our mutual friend Tommy to congratulate him as he continues to move into legitimate social circles: philosophy.fas.harvard.edu/news/tommie-shelby-elected-american-academy-arts-sciences.

    And speaking of destinations en route, when you train to Gay Paree you might stop off to at least check out Kent University in Canterbury, where (unlike at Glass Cow) you can study for free via the Buchkam program of the UVM English Department.

    ReplyDelete

I Am Utterly Tired

I am not about to let myself stop writing just because I'm in America, a land where I come by indolence much easier. Things can be pushe...